Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Basics: Make-up Brushes 101

I finally decided to put up some useful information on my blog (haha.) So, to start with my make-up instruction, I'm going to talk about brushes.


ESSENTIAL BRUSHES EVERY GIRL NEEDS:
1) Flat eyeshadow brush
2) Round crease eyeshadow brush
3) Fluffy powder brush
4) Blush brush
5) Angled eyeliner brush

I use those five brushes basically every time I apply make-up. Here are the brushes I use:

My blush brush. I love this for contouring as well as for applying blush. I got this in a Sonia Kashuk set from Target for $20.

My flat eyeshadow brush. This brush is extremely important for applying your base colors of eyeshadow. It helps the color appear more vibrant, and applies the color much more evenly than the dingy little cotton pads that come with your shadow. Mine is from Sephora.

My round crease eyeshadow brush. I love love love this brush. I use it for smoky eyes, to add dark color to my crease. I also use it to blend my eyeshadow colors. I got mine from Sephora.

This is a dual brush with a flat eyeshadow brush and an angled liner brush in one. It came in my Sonia Kashuk set as well. I mostly use the angled brush for filling in my eyebrows, because the bristles are really stiff and precise.

My other angled eye liner brush. This is from Sephora. It's much softer than the Sonia Kashuk one. I use it for applying eyeliner to my top and bottom lashes.

This adorable kabuki from actually opens up to a blush brush as well. I mostly use it as my powder brush. I prefer big brushes for powder brushes, because they disperse the powder better.
Now, those aren't all my brushes, but those are the ones I use most often. You don't need to spend a lot of money on brushes, especially if you're only going to use them for basic make-up application. There are obviously more types of brushes as well, but as far as basics go, these are all you need.
I don't use foundation or concealer brushes on myself. It's better to apply those with your fingers, because your skin warms up the foundation/concealer, and therefore helps apply it more evenly. On other people, for sanitary reasons, I'll use them, but I always put the foundation/concealer on the back of my hand to warm it up, and then dip the brush in that.
These are the pro brushes that I WILL HAVE EVENTUALLY!!!! (hahaha... As a student, I am currently a little on the broke side... But eventually, they'll be mine.)
15 Piece Professional Set with Designer Case from Crown Brush
I hope this was useful. If anyone has questions, I'd love to answer them! You can message me at my Believe Make-up by Andrei page on Facebook, on Twitter (username BelieveMakeup), or you can simply comment below. Good luck!

Love always,
Andrei

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!!!